In honor of Christmas Eve, I thought I’d share a holiday-inspired recipe with you. In a class at school, we do different “foods labs” where our teacher gives us recipes and we have to cook them. The day of our break, she passed out the recipe for Polar Express Hot Chocolate. Since it was practically already break, we threw a party and she made the cocoa, complete with an extras bar full of whipped cream, sprinkles, & marshmallows. So I recommend that you make the cocoa, then set out your favorite toppings & just go crazy because it’s a lot of fun. Plus, it’ll be a fun thing to do with your friends & family.
- 6 Cups Milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (use a quality chocolate like Ghirardelli)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, combine all of the ingredients over low heat. Keep mixture over low heat for 30-40 minutes, whisking occasionally until chocolate is fully melted and incorporated with the other ingredients. You can add milk here to adjust to your chocolate preference. Give it a good whisking before serving to get it nice and frothy.
- Serve immediately or pour into a crockpot and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Put out your Toppings bar; put out whipped cream, sprinkles, marshmallows, crushed candy canes, or anything you’d like.
That’s it! I hope you guys like it. If you make it, tell me what you think in the comments below. Most of all, enjoy your time with your friends or your family, and Merry Christmas!
P.S. This is “Polar Express Hot Chocolate” because it’s supposed to be like what they made in the movie. I don’t really know because I’ve never seen the whole thing, so tell me how it goes!